The IP Litigation Counsel provides legal support to DivX’s licensing and compliance teams to ensure DivX licensees meet their contractual obligations and to protect DivX’s licensing ecosystem. This collaborative position spans multiple business units and provides a unique opportunity to manage legal strategy for DivX’s compliance group, as well as participating in broader legal strategy initiatives.
- Support the Licensing Compliance Director in all aspects of license compliance and enforcement, including pre-litigation dispute resolution efforts, ensuring licensee cooperation during the audit process, and in other breach of contract matters.
- Assist with non-litigation enforcement matters, including working with various customs offices.
- Manage pending contract and IP enforcement disputes, including both domestic and foreign pre-litigation, litigation, patent proceedings and arbitration. Work closely with outside counsel in formulating strategy, drafting pleadings, briefs, and managing discovery.
- Assist in building strategic approaches to licensing compliance and patent licensing matters.
- Draft and negotiate license agreements and settlement agreements.
- Assist with other legal matters as they arise, including licensing, litigation, and corporate matters.
- JD from top tier law school, admitted to practice law in California.
- 3-5+ years post-graduate legal experience required, with at least 2 years in IP litigation in federal court (patent, trade secret, trademark, and/or copyright) strongly desired.
- At least 2 years law firm experience preferred.Undergraduate or graduate degree in computer science, electrical engineering, or closely related fields (or post-graduate technical work in those areas) helpful, but not required.Experience working with third party audit firms and directly auditing customers helpful.
- Experience negotiating license and settlement agreements.
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of accountability.
- Unquestionable ethics, integrity, and business judgment.
- Storied video software company founded in San Diego in 2000 with a focus on providing quality digital video experiences to users around the world.
- Fun, flexible work environment in the heart of UTC area of San Diego.
- Coffee, snacks, free gym in building, covered parking.
- Equal Opportunity Employer.
- This position is based in San Diego but is currently remote due to COVID-19 restrictions.
To apply for this position, please send us your resume.